Friday, February 13, 2015

Rhetorical Analysis Post

            I have decided to analyze the essay “A Government in Thrall to Religion” by Frank R. Zindler.  Although Frank is quite the character, and frankly (ha ha, I’m funny) I don’t like him much, I agree with some of his points.  I think that ignorance is dangerous and I think he is right to be concerned.  A general understanding, or even more important, a lack of misunderstanding, of science is an important quality in a leader in these technologically-abundant times. 
            I think his placement of blame is shoddy, which I will discuss further in my paper.  I also disagree with part of the way he tries to identify with his intended audience.  I think he limits his potential audience on a very important, very universal issue by the way he chooses to portray his argument.
            However, I think he is terribly effective when his intended audience is considered.  He writes well and he intelligently and knowledgably needles Christianity with a few well-placed quips.  He quickly establishes himself and leaves his audience very little question about his beliefs or opinions, which I think is, for the most part, a strength.  He is easily identifiable, but I’m not sure if that makes him more or less of a relatable “rightfully concerned citizen.”

            His logic is sound.  His pathos is inspiring. His ethos leaves somewhat to be desired.   Overall, however, I think this is a well-composed essay, and I look forward to analyzing it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that although I may not be atheist or agree with everything he says, ignorance is still a major concern. Education combined with religious beliefs is super powerful, but only relying on one of them can be tricky when in a position of power over a diverse population

    ReplyDelete