Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Introduction

My name is Abby.  This feels a little odd, because I'm not much of a blogger.  I'm an illustration major, and I generally feel more comfortable communicating with people I don't know through images.

I do like to write, but not because I think I'm good at it.  (I don't.) It's a good way to help myself figure out what I'm thinking.  And I like to find poetic justice in things.  I'm a bit of an optimistic idealist (which is sort of funny, because I can also be really sarcastic) and I like the idea that beauty, a good metaphor, or irony can give an object or a situation value.

I like words, too.  Even though English is a complicated language and can be really obnoxious, I think it's wonderful how it lets me express one thing in so many different ways.  Words have an incredible variety of connotations and implications and there are always interesting words to discover.

Let's see.  I'm a bit of a dork and a little odd. But I think everyone is, on some level.  I'm chronically late and not very tidy. :)  My roommate fondly calls me a "mess-and-a-half." I love to quote movies, particularly the Disney variety, though I'm also a fan of Avatar (the tv show), Phineas and Ferb, Psych, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter.  So really, a dork and a geek. :)

I'm from Utah, I'm LDS, I'm 5'10" (the weather up here is just fine, thanks) and I think that's probably enough of an introduction for the moment. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wrote about how writing helps you figure out what you're thinking. That's exactly what it does for me as well; to have to find the words to accurately (or as close to accurate) describe an emotion or experience can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete